AlwaysWoW! For a Great Great WoW in Life

Thoughts from me about things that are cool, that are WoW, that blow me away. Observations about businesses and people from a wide variety of life. Daily encounters - and thoughts outside the box, inside the box and without any box. New thinking, and challenging old thinking. Passionate about life, about respect, and about integrity.

Friday, October 01, 2004

Garbage in Malaysia - I didn’t know this

It has been published before, I believe but now, in course of my work, I came across this numbers published by The Edge Singapore (Sept. 27).

It says that “16,000 tonnes of garbage are produced a day and by 2020, it will be 21,729 tonnes. Between 1997 and now, the amount of garbage generated has increased by 14%. Meanwhile, only 3% of the junk is recycled even as the landfills are stuffed to the hilt. Operators have warned that many of the landfills have to be decommissioned soon.”

This is 16,000 tonnes a day - this is an amazing number, mind-boggling. Goodness, guys. Wake up, you are covering Malaysia in garbage!!!

Really scary, but fits with my recent entry (http://alwayswow.blogspot.com/2004/09/what-bedvils-malaysia.html ) – I realize that there are still many things that I haven’t heard of in Malaysia. Well, apparently, with the recent ratification by Parliament of the Solid Waste Management Bill, changes will knock at the door might come. Hopefully! Although its been table since a long time (since 1997). I just hope that the new administration will push it through, throws the wheel around, is doing something.

|

Powered by Blogger

Blogarama - The Blog Directory