AlwaysWoW! For a Great Great WoW in Life

Thoughts from me about things that are cool, that are WoW, that blow me away. Observations about businesses and people from a wide variety of life. Daily encounters - and thoughts outside the box, inside the box and without any box. New thinking, and challenging old thinking. Passionate about life, about respect, and about integrity.

Sunday, November 07, 2004

Balik kampung and standing out from the crowd

On Wednesday, we will balik kampung (for those non-Malay speaker, this means return home, or going home). It is the annual trip back to Perlis for Hari Raya (for those outside Malaysia - it means the celebration at the end of the Islamic fasting month or Ramadan). I promised my father-in-law that, wherever we are (we = my wife, I and my kid), we will return to Perlis for Hari Raya.

I am always sticking out there, the white man or Mat Salleh. Kids look at me - when I am in the garden, playing with my kid and others, and they happen to bicycle along the road and see me, they turn around and look, look, look. I am always worried that they might accidentally end up in the drain or in the middle of the on-coming traffic, due to their lack of concentration and curiosity.

Hari Raya is kind of fun. I say kind of, because, again, I am the only white guy around. Everybody knows me and my name, but since there are so many, many visitors, I have the feeling there are hundreds of them and I might not be wrong in this assumption. I tend to forget their names. Especially, since I see many of them only once in a year. Kind of embarrassing, actually.

I also feel strange to go to the mosque. I mean, I am the only white guy, and we - my in-laws and I - tend to sit in the front row. Exposed to everybody. And may be it is me and my uncertainty and perception, but I have the feeling, that everybody looks at me. Positively, of course, and full of curiosity.

I like Perlis. It is fun to be away from the hectic in Kuala Lumpur. Where we are staying is a bit away from Kangar as well. It is the time, where I can relax - besides during Hari Raya, when it is absolutely chaotic. A lot of sleep, reading, and spending time with my kid - when he has time for me, that is. I bring my computer this time so I can satisfy my addiction to blogging.

So well, two more days to go and than I am off. Off work, and finally, some holiday. No more tired looking. Anyone of you bloggers in Perlis as well?

|

Powered by Blogger

Blogarama - The Blog Directory